Wednesday 17 October 2012

Blighter's Rock

More views of - or before - Cambridge Film Festival 2012
(Click here to go directly to the Festival web-site)


17 October

Russell Hoban wrote a short piece, included in the collection of various bits and pieces The Moment under The Moment, of that name, and elsewhere, in his novels, gave characters that Spooneristic phrase to describe their predicament.

I have always inferred, since first reading the words, that they were, if not dear to Russ' heart, then at least acknowledged as part of his own experience: I find that he is a writer who does not keep you at arm's length, in that way, from what he has known or seen, and I see The Medusa Frequency, in 1987, as having come out of a very particular encounter with Medusa's powers, for ill and good. The previous novel, Pilgermann, had come out in 1983.

The fact that there was another such long gap and then, instead of a novel to follow Medusa, Moment came out in 1992, suggested that something had happened, and that the volume attempted, by bringing various things into one place, to maintain an interest / following. The next novel, Fremder, was not published until 1996*.

Although, for my money, both Medusa and Fremder are flawed by their ending, they are, nonetheless, masterpieces, linked by containing the same piece of text about occulting views and the rate at which the retina refreshes, making films possible, because of the persistence of image. Fremder, especially, though both books are short, is costly on dedication to read. It seems to me that the road to these novels had been a hard one, and likely that there had been prolonged stays on Blighter's Rock, before and after Moment.

What is characteristic of Russ is that he creates something out of the impossibility of creation, converting the self-pitying writer's block (being 'blocked' doesn't sound good) to something that happens to blighters. In other words, not taking himself or it too seriously.


End-notes :

* Data courtesy of http://www.ocelotfactory.com/hoban/, known as The Head of Orpheus.


3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I am not surprised Russ got wrecked sometimes at Bligheter's Rock. He aimed so high -- or deep -- or whatever direction is useful to describe the heart of experience and the mystery of existence itself.
He wrote nonetheless with a sense of humor -- a shining achievement.

The Agent Apsley said...

You've definitely caught something of Russ' generous enthusiasm there, Lindsay - thanks !

Anonymous said...

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your content seem to be running off the screen in Opera. I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know. The layout look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed soon. Thanks [url=http://www.toekomstvisies.be/node/274?page=34#comment-15426] more helpful hints[/url] My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on numerous websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform. I have heard excellent things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated! I have realized that of all sorts of insurance, health insurance is the most debatable because of the struggle between the insurance cover company's necessity to remain adrift and the client's need to have insurance. Insurance companies' profits on overall health plans are certainly low, thus some companies struggle to make a profit. Thanks for the thoughts you write about through this site. Excellent site you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics discussed here? I'd really love to be a part of group where I can get opinions from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Kudos! [url=http://www.thaishooting.com/webboard/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=428275] Home Page[/url] One other issue is when you are in a scenario where you do not possess a co-signer then you may really want to try to exhaust all of your educational funding options. You could find many funds and other scholarship grants that will provide you with funds to aid with college expenses. Thanks alot : ) for the post. Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he just bought me lunch because I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!